Johnny Benson SS #72
March 13, 2014
It’s good to be me! I received a call from Nick today (owner of the Johnny Benson SS #72 – Chrome Illusion GMMG).
He asked if I was interested in SS #72? We visited a few times & at the end of the day we reached an agreement & I will be purchasing the car from him.
SS #72 will be joining the Collection soon.
Phase II/435 hp – Built for Johnny Benson of NASCAR.
SSS #72 is the only GMMG painted Chrome Illusion & is 1 of 1 – 9k miles
This fits perfect with the Pace Cars, Bobby Labonte Blackbird #38 & DEI #54
More information & photos will follow…………..
Click – Johnny Benson SS #72 video
One of nine 2002 Berger SS Phase 2’s
#72 was ordered & delivered with Phase 2/435hp at time of order with GMMG
March 24, 2014
I opened the mail today & Dick send me a number of large Johnny Benson photos
the day he signed SS #72 Chrome Illusion car.
WOW!!!! Thanks so much Dick. You’re awesome!
Johnny Benson signing SS #72
Johnny Benson signing #72 SS
Almost $60k in 2002 – more than a Corvette.
2002 Camaro Berger SS #72
Phase II 435hp, 6 speed, 4.10 gears
9K original miles
Built exclusively for racecar driver Johnny Benson, Jr.
1 of 1 produced
One of the rarest Camaros ever created. This is the only car of its kind in existence. This is a one off Camaro built for championship winning driver, Johnny Benson, Jr. No other car was built like this.
Johnny Benson, Jr started his asphalt career at Berlin Raceway in Grand Rapids, MI. Berger Chevrolet sponsored his #21 racecar. In 1989, He went on to win the Late Model Championship and set a track record by winning 10 of 15 events. Having both been from Grand Rapids, Benson and Berger always had close ties. In 2002, which was to be the final year of Camaro production, Berger built a special car for Benson. This car is that special creation. It was painted Chrome Illusion which was from one of his race cars. This is an amazing paint job, featuring painted black stripes that have “JB” custom etched in them (when others had the horsepower rating). Mr. Benson drove this car for several thousand miles when new. It was shown at several events, including the Berger Super Chevy Show. It was eventually given back to Berger Chevy and was made available for sale to the public.
GM, SLP, & GMMG Window Stickers
Phase II window sticker- listing Johnny Benson as owner
GM Shipping docs
Pictures of Johnny Benson signing the car
Letters from Scott Settlemire
Fikse wheel documents
The car is signed by Johnny Benson in 3 different locations. (We were told this was due so that at least one signature would always exist on the car). The 3 locations are: under the hood, on the gauges, and under the back hatchback lid.
Some of the signatures under the hood include:
- Scott Settlemire- assistant Camaro brand manager
- Dennis Barker- previous sales manager at Berger
- Jeff Lute- Berger employee who painted the car
- Matt Berger- owner of Berger Chevy
- R. Dale Berger- owner of Berger Chevy
- Matt Murphy- Owner of GMMG
- Fuel Magazine= #72 was featured in a two page spread including detailed pictures and information about the car.
- Listed in the Camaro White Book
- ISCA Best in Class winner at the AutoRama Devos
Berger SS package included:
- 380hp/400tq package
- Cat back chambered exhaust
- All new high flow air box lid
- Progressive-rate front & rear springs
- FIKSE 17×9.5” aluminum wheels
- BFGoodrich g-Force KW 17” “Y rated” Tires
- Dimpled front& rear rotors
- Dual hood & deck lid stripes
- Black rear tail light panel
- “Prescribed Power by Berger” decal
- Chrome “by Berger” rear emblem
- Painted body color top hoop
- Berger numbered console plaque & key fob
- Fitted car cover with Berger SS logo
- Horsepower & torque dash plaque
- Berger “Prescribed Power” emblems
- SLP front Camaro SS floor mats
- SLP commemorative portfolio
- All new grille with SS emblem
- White face gauges with “by Berger” logo
- Rearview mirror with compass, temperature, and auto dimmer
- Power antenna
- Red powder coated brake calipers
- Berger “Chrome Illusion” Paint
- Phase II 435hp/410tq package
- TTS Full length ceramic coated headers
- Phase II Cam shaft
- Phase II Ported throttle body (stamped)
- Phase II Cylinder heads (stamped & numbered)
- Phase II Computer recalibration
- Rear end gears 4:10
$42,330.00- Base Berger Camaro SS
+$9,670.00- Berger “Chrome Illusion” paint price
+$7,995.00- Add’l option- Phase II package
$59,995.00- Final Total Price
(Most expensive Corvette in 2002 was $52k)
#72 is in excellent condition. Featuring 9,200 miles, the car is all original even down to the original tires. The paint is amazing and looks beautiful in person. The pictures honestly do not do it justice. The interior still smells new. The condition will not disappoint. It has always been garage kept and stored indoors.
Watch #72 start up and listen to all 435hp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8KDvgRc37M
Johnny Benson career highlights:
Johnny Benson, Jr. career highlights and achievements include:
- 1990 American Speed Association rookie of the year
- 1993 American Speed Association AC-Delco Challenge series championship
- 1994 NASCAR Busch Series rookie of the year
- 1995 Busch Series championship
- 1996 Winston Cup NASCAR rookie of the year
- 2006 Craftsman Truck Series most popular driver
- 2007 Craftsman Truck Series most popular driver
- 2008 Craftsman Truck Series most popular driver
- 2008 Craftsman Truck Series championship.
#72 is historically significant on numerous levels. Berger Chevy is the lone survivor of the muscle car era dealerships. GMMG put dealer performance back into the Camaro. Johnny Benson, Jr. is a championship winning driver who won on different levels of racing.
These attributes and the fact that the car is one off built, make it one of the most collectible Camaros and muscle cars ever created. It is rarer and more unique then any Yenko or Motion Camaro from the ‘60s. It will certainly continue to appreciate in value for years to come.
……..from Nick (previous owner)….Thanks
Daytona Pace Cars, GMMG Carl Black Blackbird's, CETA Blackbird, GMMG Berger Camaro's , SLP Firehawk's, DEI Intimidator Camaro, GMMG Berger SS, GMMG Hot Rod Edition Camaro, Brickyard, GMMG PE, Performance Edition SS, ZL-1 Supercar, Dick Harrell, Tom Henry, 2009 SEMA Camaro's, Dale Earnhardt Intimidator SS, Johnny Benson, Bobby Labonte, KDawgFilmz, Waldoch, Master Craft